Clemson City Police
1198 Tiger Blvd
Clemson, SC 29631
Email Crime Tip Line
Ph: (864) 624-2000
Fx: (864) 653-2043
In the past several weeks the City of Clemson has seen a rise in the number of phone scams being reported. The victims in these incidents have predominately been foreign students, or foreign citizens living here with us. The last few to come through this agency have involved a suspect calling and advising victims that he/she represents Immigration Customs Enforcement, and threatens to have them deported if the victim does not immediately wire them a large amount of money.
This is a scam. To date the suspects in these cases have been traced all over the United States, and in some instances outside the country. A few things to remember:
· No Federal, State, or Local Government office is going to call and demand payment in lieu of civil or criminal action.
· None of these government offices will ask you to make the payments via Western Union, Moneygram, or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart transfer.
· None of these government offices will ask or direct you to make payment via Greendot cards or any other type of temporary credit or gift card.
· Any Federal, State, or Local Government office that is calling you will likely already have all of the personal information they need. DO NOT provide them with your social security numbers, bank account information, or any other financial institution information over the phone.
· If you receive a call like this, please attempt to get contact information for the caller and advise them that you will be contacting the local authorities before proceeding. No legitimate government office will penalize you for exercising your own due diligence.
· DO NOT send money via Western Union, Moneygram, or any other transfer system without knowing the person you are sending money to.
Other reported scams have included fraudulent responses to Craigslist Advertisements, suspects pretending to be Duke Power employees, and suspects pretending to be computer “helpdesk” employees. Please contact the Clemson City Police department if you feel that you have been the victim of one of these scams, and take the time to verify anyone calling to demand payment over the phone.