The Sanitation Department visits every household several times a week as they pick up residential garbage, recycling, and other debris. Over 4,000 roll carts are emptied each week by Sanitation Crews.
Instructions and Guidelines for Rollcarts and Other Services
The following should be used by all residents of the City of Clemson concerning the use of the cart system and other services provided by the Public Works Department. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Please do not hesitate to call the Sanitation Department if problems arise at (864) 653-2047.
Guidelines for Rollcart Use
- All garbage and refuse must be in plastic bags before being placed in rollcart. (Microwaves, vacuum cleaners, and TV's should be put out with your regular garbage but not in the rollcart. See E-Waste/E-Cycle information towards the bottom of the page.)
- On your day of collection, roll your cart to the street side in front of your house, but DO NOT PLACE IT IN THE STREET.
- During the week, between collections, store your rollcart away from the street side.
- Always place the lid back on the cart when you deposit trash to keep rain and neighborhood pets out.
- Our collection day begins at 7:00 a.m. and will usually end around 4:30 p.m. Carts should be placed at the street by 7:00 a.m. on collection days and removed by sunset on collection days.
- The Cart is owned by the City, but cleaning, routine upkeep, and protecting it from being stolen is the users responsibility. Take care of it, don't abuse it, and it will last a long time.
- Stolen, damaged, or abused carts are replaced at the property owner's or the responsible agent's expense.
- Do not place items such as Poisons, Acids, Caustics, Explosives, Construction Materials (i.e. concrete, wood, bricks, etc.), Furniture, Oils, Gasoline, *Paint, & Paint Thinner, Kerosene, Toxic Substances, etc., in the rollcart.
*Paint-- Remove the top of the paint cans and mix with kitty litter or with concrete, and let the contents completely dry. Once in a solid state throw into the rollcart with the household garbage.
- The cart must not be used for any other purpose than storing and collecting garbage.
- Do not mark, write, paint, cut, or alter the cart in any way.
- Each cart has a serial number which is recorded by residence, so do not trade carts with your neighbors.
- The City maintains ownership of the cart at all times, so if you move either within the City or outside the City, notify the Public Works Department at (864) 653-2047.
- If your cart is stolen or damaged call the Public Works Department at once at (864) 653-2053.
- There will be no collection on City holidays (unless notified). These holidays are regularly announced in the newspapers as well as posted on the Holiday Schedule page on our website. Do not roll carts out on these days unless otherwise advised.
- During bad weather in the winter months - especially in snowy and icy conditions - the Sanitation Department will attempt to operate normally, and each resident may choose whether or not to roll out their cart. If collection is postponed entirely, detailed announcements will be made via local media stations and this website.
- Handicapped residents may make a written request to the Public Works Department for special pickup consideration at their home without placing their garbage and recycling at curbside. (A physician statement is required.) The Sanitation Department will then make a determination as to whether a pickup is warranted and act accordingly. More information is available on the Disability Assistance page.
Guidelines for Residential Recycling Collection
- Have recycling bin at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on collection day and remove from street by sundown on collection day.
- All recyclables must be placed in your recycle bin.
- Leave all labels on containers
- Rinse all items
- Remove caps/lids from all containers
- Acceptable materials for curbside recycling:
- All plastics 1-5
- Cereal boxes
- All tin cans and aluminum cans
- Glass (brown, green, and clear)
- Paper products, Newspapers, etc.
Used oil can be placed at curbside on the same day as your regular garbage pick up. Call the Public Works Department (864) 653-2053 to request an oil recycle container. This container is placed under your vehicle to allow the oil to drain directly into it as it drains from your vehicle. Turn the oil filter upside down in the oil recycle container to allow the oil to drain from the filter. Once it has drained wrap the oil filter in a plastic bag, and sit it on top of the oil container at curbside. The container will be picked up and an empty one will be left in its place, if one is available on the recycle truck.
Acceptable Recycling Material at the Recycling Center:
- All plastic 1-5 accepted
- White or colored computer printout
- White or colored ledger paper
- White or colored letter head/business forms and copy paper
- Telephone books, message pads, envelopes, magazines, newspapers, and junk mail
- Bulk junk items such as stoves, refrigerators/freezers and washers/dryers (only with doors removed or chained*), sofas, chairs, tires, etc., can be placed on curbside to be picked up. However, there may be a small fee for some items, specifically tires and appliances.
*Please Note: SECTION 16-3-1010. Failing to remove doors from abandoned airtight containers.
Any person who abandons or discards any icebox, refrigerator, ice chest or other type of airtight container of a capacity sufficient to contain any child and who neglects prior to such abandonment to remove the door, lid or other device for the closing thereof and any owner, lessee or other person in charge of property who knowingly permits any abandoned icebox, refrigerator, ice chest or other type of airtight container to remain thereon accessible to children without removing the door, lid or other closing device therefrom shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days. (HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 16-94; 1954 (48) 1479.)
- Large limbs and branches of 6 feet or less in length can be stacked at the street side for pickup (preferably parallel to the street to accommodate City Brush Tractor). (Information on mulch and the load a truck program is included in the "special handling" information below.)
- During leaf season, leaves may be put at the street side for pickup (See Season Schedule).
- The Sanitation Department also operates a container service for local businesses and apartments. For further information call the Public Works Department at (864) 653-2047.
- The Sanitation Department will not remove contractor generated debris such as tree surgeon waste, shingles, building materials, cross ties, or special waste.
- The Sanitation Department picks up cardboard boxes on Friday mornings for residents. Call (864) 653-2053 at least 24 hours in advance to place a work order. Place the cardboard out on Thursday night, broken down, lain flat, and stacked neat. Place all packing material in a trash bag.
- Cardboard Boxes for Businesses are picked up by the City of Clemson, (864) 653-2053, should you need to be added to the cardboard list or have a problem with your existing service.
Curbside collection: No charge
Roll Cart Service .50/cubic yard
- One pickup per week (Res.San): $12.00/month
- Each additional pickup/week: $12.00/month
- One pickup per week (Com. San): $10.50/month
- Each additional pickup/week: $10.50/month
- Pickens County Landfill tipping fee: $8.50/pickup
- Special Order pickup: $3/pickup
Container Service (6cys)
- Once weekly per pickup service: $61.40/month
- Each additional pickup/week: $61.40/month
- Pickens County landfill tipping fee: $38.00
- Special order pickup: $45.00/pickup
- Yard Waste (grass clippings): No charge
- Leaves: No charge
- Limbs/Household: No charge
- Limbs/Contractors: $7.5/cyd
- White goods (appliances): $2/item
- Tires, Batteries: $2/item
- Load-A-Truck (Brush only): $20/day
- Wood chips (mulch):
Pick-up - No Charge but must show proof of a tarp to cover the mulch before loading and leaving the grinding site
Delivered (min 5cyds) - $10/cyd
NOTICE: It is Against the Law to dispose of computers, computer monitors, televisions, printers, and any other type of electronic equipment as well as parts of any of these items in the the landfill. These items must be recycled. Place these items curbside. We will have a special pick up for all E-Waste that will be marked by the GPS System on your regular Sanitation pickup day.
The Public Works Department utilizes a GPS that is installed on the Sanitation garbage trucks that notifies the office at the end of the day the items that have been placed out at the curb side for pick up. This GPS allows Sanitation to pick up brush, junk, leaves, repair pot holes, etc. in a more efficient and timely manner. Because Sanitation crews no longer have to go down each street looking for items, crews make much faster progress in keeping Clemson clean.
If you place your items out at the curb side on the day your household garbage is serviced, the items should be picked up within a few days. Should you need more information please call (864) 653-2053.
Sanitation GPS Information