Planning and Codes Department
The Planning and Codes Department has several duties:
- Develops a long-range plan for the City and manage ongoing and current planning needs.
- Oversees the plan review, permitting and inspections for any new construction.
- Serves as staff for the Planning Commission, Board of Architectural Review, and Board of Zoning Appeals
- Administer the City of Clemson Zoning Ordinance and Zoning Map
- Oversees the Comprehensive Master Plan
- Oversees all Fire Safety issues
- Serves as Floodplain Manager for the City
- Manages the Short Term and Long Term Rental Housing programs
- Does the 911 Addressing for the City
- Serves as coordinator of the U.S. Census
- Approves all deeds of record, lot line adjustments, and subdivisions of properties
The laws, codes, and systems by which the Planning and Codes Department operates can sometimes be confusing for those who are new to the process. This website has been designed to “de-mystify” the process and to help you find answers to many commonly asked questions. In addition to the information provided under each of the major categories of the Department, we encourage you to review the FAQ section. As a reminder, one of the best ways to stay informed about what is happening with Planning and Codes is to sign up for the City Mail List found on the City of Clemson home page. And when it comes to building and construction issues, if you are uncertain whether you need a permit or other approvals, our best advice is to simply call us. We’re here to help in any way possible.